4.23.2012

26.2

WARNING: This post has an incredible amount of pictures and text ALL having to do with running.

I did it.
I ran the 26.2.

I think the easiest way to capture this is by random sections so here we go.

*My fan club! The signs they made for me were perfecto!*
Spectators at the race: Any support is welcomed and marathon fans are almost as crazy as the marathoners themselves (almost). There were cowbells, posters, cheerleaders, and cameras. Many of the locals set up sprinklers (heaven-sent) and their own aid stations with fruit and popsicles. My favorite was the "Temptation Station" where they offered beer and doughnuts. 

*Right before I left*



The Course: It was well set-up and an overall great course. It was mostly downhill with only two little hills (except the hill at mile 25 didn't seem too little). It included residential areas, highway, and city. I always love being in the midst of the tall city buildings so ending the marathon there was absolutely perfect (except for the hill at mile 25). 



*Finish line*


The Finish Line: I think I was just in a state of awe. Running a marathon is one of those things that most people put on their bucket list, but never really get to it. Not this girl. The whole experience seemed to just float by and when I crossed the finish line, all I could think of was, "I just ran a marathon."


*My medal has become the apartment's pride and joy*
My medal: The coolest thing ever! It might not be a big as my 10k medal, but it has a cool swivel thingy in the middle that reminds me of Hermione Granger's time turner.
Refuel: They were sadly lacking on food at the end. C'mon, I just ran all morning! They did have some chocolate milk though which tasted oh-so-good. After I got some shut-eye and a shower we went to Macaroni Grill which was a perfect celebratory meal.

*My sister and mom finishing the 5k. Remember that hill at mile 25 that I keep complaining about? Well, they totally dominated it and the 5k. Good job ladies!*

Weather/Fuel/Pit Stops: It was a super nice day which translates into Janeen-don't-dehydrate-or-else-it-will-end-horrible. I made to take precautions with plenty of sunblock and a hat. About mile 16 I was at the point of dumping water on myself at every aid station. I also made sure to drink water or Powerade at every aid station as well. This required one restroom stop at mile 14 where I had to wait a couple of minutes to get in. Curse men who can just go in the bushes off the side of the road. Other fuel included GU, otter pops, and  oranges. I learned early on in my training that my stomach doesn't do too well with many fuels. 

*Low-fiving it*
Pace: My official time was 5:02:55. Yes, I was 2 minutes and 56 seconds from being under 5 hours, but you know what, I don't regret my time. That is where I thought I would be based on my long runs throughout training. I had an absolutely horrendous negative split (running the 1st half in 2:15 and the 2nd half in 2:45). Oh well. The first bit was a lot cooler and a steeper decline....and my legs were more fresh.

One of my biggest goals for the marathon (other than finishing it) was to enjoy the experience. My half marathon experience was not that hot and I wanted this race to be different. And different it was. There were times when I was tired, but holy crow, that's 26.2 miles so of course there's fatigue. I even prepared myself to "hit the wall," but it never came. (Probably because my pace wasn't painfully fast).

The thought that has ran through my mind as I have reflected upon this is that the marathon experience is beautiful. The human body is incredible and there is great growth which is involved. My love for running has increased and you bet I'm going to keep running my little heart out. 

Does this mean another marathon in the future?
Who knows, but for now, the SLC Marathon has been one of the most incredible life experiences yet. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! The first marathon is the best. :) thanks for sharing! Do you think you'll run another one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Janeen! Really inspiring! Congratulations again! :)

    ReplyDelete