1.31.2013

Significantly Insignificant

The mission has caused many goodbyes in my life.

This includes material possessions that have no significance in the eternal scheme of things. 

But still.

And then there are the items that should have had their goodbyes long ago.

My Polka-dot Duffle.
This girly-girl has been in my life for well over five years. Every track meet, every drama performance, and every weekend trip have graciously and desperately included Miss Duffle. And it shows. Zippers popped off long ago, inside dividers have ripped, and there are some mysterious stains in the bottom.
You've been good to me.
And my habit of bringing far too much than is needed.


My Moccasins 
These shoes invite the inner Pocahontas of me for a little pow-wow. (Despite the long faded sparkles and modern day lining.) The sidewalks at BYU-Idaho have become well acquainted with Mr. Moccasin. Some other redeeming qualities: slip on, slip off, color goes with everything, comfort. 
My feet say "Gracias" since I don't know the Native American word for "thank you."


I was going to make an analogy of how I hope to be like these items when I return from my mission: well worn, incredibly useful, don't want to let go, etc. But I don't want to be thrown away after the mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment